Okay, so this was something I was personally confused on. What to pack in your hospital bag? I’ve seen other bloggers share their must haves but to me it always seemed overdone & excessive! I was always generally curious to what you actually needed.
So I asked the experienced Mama’s that are my insta friends to share what you actually use / need! That way first time Mama’s like us know what’s up.
I personally decided to pack my hospital bag at 34 weeks because I’ve heard it’s great to be prepared!
Here’s the list ~ I should also say that I’ve been told it depends what kind of labour you’re going to have. For example if you do a natural birth one suggested that headphones or an iPad wasn’t something they were even able to focus on during the pain of labour. Where as if you decided to get an epidural you’re more likely to enjoy watching a show or movie if you can! So keep that in mind.
MUST HAVE’S –
- CHAPSTICK, CHAPSTICK, CHAPSTICK!!! DON’T FORGET THE CHAPSTICK!
- Water bottle with straw
- Phone charger
- Camera + charger
- Hair ties + hairclips
- Nursing bra
- A robe + Nightgown with buttons, or pyjamas with buttons.
- Comfy socks + slippers or easy slip on shoes.
- Shower / bathroom toiletries ( face wash, shampoo / conditioner, body wash, dry shampoo, body lotion, face lotion, deodorant, etc..) + towel + flip flops for shower.
- Depends women’s underwear or make sure to get extras from hospital.
- Postpartum underwear – Dark coloured, full coverage, high waisted.
- Comfy loose fitting clothes to wear home.
- Your own pillow
- iPad or laptop for watching shows / movies
- Deck of cards
- Change for vending machines
BABY MUST HAVE’S –
- CAR SEAT!
- Pre-download baby apps or have a note book so you can start recording how many poops & pees. Specifically the colour!
- Baby blanket / swaddle x 2 ( grab some hospital ones for extras )
- Warmer baby blanket
- Hat + mittens or socks
- Going home outfit
- Vaseline for those tar poops
- Diapers + wipes just incase the hospital doesn’t provide them.
HUSBAND OR PARTNER MUST HAVE’S –
- Reusable water bottle
- Comfy clothes
HAVE READY AT HOME –
- Frida Mom Products!
- Tucks witch hazel pads
- Tylenol & Advil
- Epsom Salts for sitz baths ( OPTIONAL – not everyone tears or uses sits baths but it’s something to consider if you tear. )
- Regular pads & liners as bleeding decreases
- Nursing pads ( Tip: put some aloe on the nursing pads & put them in the fridge incase you bleed from breast feeding or when you engorge from your milk coming in. )
- Nipple cream
- Haakaa pump
- Nursing bras + tank tops or easy access comfy clothes.
- Stock up on pre-made meals & snacks! ( Tip: Eating healthy high fat foods like avocados can help with milk products )
- Belly bandit for postpartum. ( Optional )
NOTE – Try & keep packing compact & easy to carry. You’re Husband or partner will be the one carrying everything in!
Thanks to all the Mama’s who helped create this hospital bag packing list!